Have you ever covered your ears with your hands to protect yourself from loud noise? That’s the closest to natural hearing protection that we’ve got, but just how much does it reduce the sound pressure level reaching your ear? And what’s the best method? This experiment aims to find out.
There are few things better than British Summer music festivals – and there’s something for everyone, whether you like mud and metal, green fields and folk music, or something a little more quiet and creative. But what if you live near one of these festivals, and the noise of music and crowds isn’t your idea of a relaxing summer weekend? Continue reading Noise monitoring at Pulse Festival 2014
Some very interesting work by Dr. Kathleen Campbell is revealing that there may be potential to produce an orally induced drug that could act as a preventative to hearing loss.
Solent Acoustics are pleased to announce our next professional conference, “Acoustics in the Built Environment”.
Following on from the success of last year’s conference “Noise in Music and Entertainment”, this one day event targets professionals in the Built Environment sector who would like to learn more about the acoustic issues faced by building projects from design to construction and beyond.
The event will involve presentations from 4 prominent keynote speakers, along with an open questions panel, and will be relevant to Architects, Architectural Technologists, Building Control Officers, Chartered Surveyors, Environment Health Officers, Health and Safety officers and Site Managers as well as Acousticians.
Subjects covered will include:
- What makes a building fail on pre-completion testing and how to prevent it.
- Legislative requirements and issues for conventional and unusual builds (non-domestic issues, listed buildings, ‘common’ spaces in apartment buildings).
- Noise and noise monitoring in construction and demolition sites
- Acoustic issues in specialist and non-domestic buildings (Aesthetics, Acoustic Privacy, Technological Solutions).
- Nick Jones (Hilson Moran)
- Phil McIlwain (Wisemill Acoustics)
- Kyriakos Papanagiotou (KP Acoustics)
- Jonty Stewart (Wight Noise)
The event will take place at the Solent Conference Centre, Southampton Solent University, on Friday 4 April 2014.
Registration is free for delegates, and includes conference pack, trade exhibition, coffee and lunch. CPD certification is offered for the event.
Register quickly and easily: